Servings: 4 Time: 40 – 60 min. Difficulty: Easy
First I like to give you some small information about the Sablefish, (Gindara as I know it.)
Sablefish, (Anoplopoma fimbria) dear child has many names: Gindara, Beshow, and Skilfish (CA), Black Cod (UK, USA, CA), Blue Cod (UK), Bluefish (UK) Butterfish (USA), Candlefish (UK), Coal Cod (UK), Coalfish (CA), and others.
The sablefish is found in muddy sea beds in the North Pacific at depths of 300 to 2,700 m (980 to 8,860 ft)
In the USA, the FDA accepts only “sablefish” as the Acceptable Market Name if not changed lately.
The white flesh of the sablefish is soft-textured and mildly flavored. It is considered a delicacy in many countries. When cooked, its flaky texture is similar to Patagonian toothfish (Chilean sea bass). The meat has a high fat content and can be prepared in many ways, including grilling, smoking, or frying, or served as sushi. Sablefish flesh is high in long-chain omega 3 fatty acids, EPA and DHA. It contains about as much as wild salmon.
My first meeting with Sablefish (Gindara) was in The Philippines where it was served boiled.
Later I have tried it fried and I must say both dishes tasted very good.Then I found out that I like to bake the fish in the oven, so here we go.Try this recipe with Gindara ( Sablefish ) in tomato bowl with potato, garlic, chilli and onion. The only thing that takes time is the time it needs in the oven.
700 g (25 oz) Gindara filet fresh, bone and skinless ( If not finish cutted from the shop.)
6 PCs. Potato
1 PC Yellow Onion
1-2 Cloves Garlic
1 PC Chili, red
400 g (14 oz) Canned tomatoes, rough chopped
1 tbs Olive oil
1 tsp Salt
Pepper ( As you like )
How to do:
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C ( 392°F )
2. Cut the Gindara into nice serving pieces, ( if not finish cut from the shop.)
3. Peel the potato and cut into thin slices with cheese razor or a potato peeler.
4. Cut the onion into thin slices, and finely chop the garlic.
5. Cleanse chilli for seeds and dividers, and finely chop it.
6. Pour olive oil into a casserole dish, and place in a layer of potatoes and onions. Sprinkle with a little salt.
7. Add fish pieces on top ( sprinkle a little pepper on top of the fish ) and a new layer of potatoes and onions. Continue until all are used.
8. Add the garlic and chilli on top.
9. Pour in the canned tomatoes and add tomato slices at the top.
10. Bake in the oven for about 50 minutes.