Pork knuckles and sauerkraut is a typical German dish that tastes amazing. It takes some time to make it, but it’s worth it. An almost self-made dish. Does not need much work with this dish. If you do not make homemade sauerkraut. Then there will be some more work, but what tastes better than German sauerkraut for this dish.
Portions: 4 Time: 3.5 – 4 hours Difficulty: Easy
- 4 pcs. Lightly salted smoked pork chops
How to Do It:
• Place the knuckles in boiling unsalted water. The size of the casserole should fit the knuckles. Fill water until it covers the knuckles.
• Turn the temperature down to approx. 80 °- 85 ° C water temperature, cooking time approx. 3 hours.
• At the end of the cooking time, preheat the oven to 225 ° C
• Take the knuckles and place them on a grid over a long pan. Fry for approx. 30 minutes until the bones are golden and the skin is crispy. Use hot air or the grill element the last few minutes.
Served with pre-cooked sauerkraut, or homemade sauerkraut, potatoes, some of the sauce and mustard.
Recommended: Homemade sauerkraut.
Recipe for Sauerkraut:
The ingredients in this recipe are a recommendation as it contains vinegar. Not everybody likes so much vinegar, so everybody should make it according to their taste.
- 2/3 Cabbage head
- 1 Large onion
- 2 – 4 tablespoons Bacon fat or butter.
- 3 dl Broth or knuckles boiling sauce.
- 1 Bayleaf
- 4 Juniper
- 5 Cloves
- 1.5 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 4 – 5 tablespoons Vinegar
• Cut the cabbage into fine strips and place it in a casserole with hot bacon fat or butter.
• Divide the onion into strips, add this with laurel leaves, juniper, and cloves. An alternative is to use caraway.
• Pour over the broth or the knuckles boiling sauce and 2 tablespoons vinegar.
• Put on the lid and let it cook under low heat for 45 – 60 minutes.
• Taste with salt, pepper, sugar and the rest of the vinegar.
Served with freshly cooked potatoes.
Enjoy your dinner